At SL Controls, we believe a happy and healthy team improves the working environment for everyone. It also enhances performance and productivity. Therefore, we run regular campaigns to promote both physical and mental health and wellbeing.
Those individual campaigns come under our two main health and wellbeing initiatives:
- Live Well at SL which promotes good physical health among our employees
- Think Well at SL which promotes good mental health while also working to remove the stigma often associated with mental health in the workplace
In 2019, one of the key health and wellbeing campaigns we are running is the “Challenge Yourself” series. It takes a new topic every month and encourages each member of the SL Controls team to challenge themselves to make improvements and live happier and healthier lives.
Some of the topics so far this year include:
- Heart health – this topic focused on heart health tips such as eating a healthy diet, taking part in physical activity, quitting smoking, and managing stress. It also encouraged employees to talk to their doctor about regular heart health screening and checks.
- Improving sleep habits – given the importance of sleep to health and wellbeing, this topic focussed on tips for getting a good night’s sleep. They included developing a sleep schedule, practicing a bedtime ritual, exercising every day, ensuring your bedroom is comfortable for sleep, controlling light, winding down before sleep, and not using your bed for working, watching TV, or using your phone. Other advice was to avoid alcohol, heavy meals, and cigarettes too close to bedtime.
- Digital detox – this topic encouraged employees to complete a seven-day digital detox, reducing the amount of time they spend on tech. Tips for achieving this included setting a daily digital allowance, making particular times of the day phone/TV free, keeping your phone out of sight when driving, turning off notifications, and allocating time to take a complete break from social media and emails. Another tip was to avoid eating in front of the TV or at desks at work.
The “Challenge Yourself” series will continue throughout 2019 in addition to the other health and wellbeing initiatives we run for our team at SL Controls.