Control Systems Designer
Location: Remote working opportunity
As a Control Systems Designer you will operate inside the SL Controls projects group.
You will have responsibility to mentor all resources in your local projects group based on your years of experience.
You will have an elevated position of authority as Systems Designer and will be required to give direction, inspiration and technical knowledge to fellow resources.
As the Control Systems Designer is responsible for the day-to-day running of the team, you will;
- Be responsible for the technical issues, operational issues and management issues within your projects group. Within your role you will be required to supervise, motivate, and support the staff daily, applying a team approach and maintain open communication whilst acting in an impartial manner when reporting to SL Controls senior management.
- Ensure that the company culture of fairness, camaraderie, respect, communication, innovation and balanced lives is fostered for all employees to promote personal and career development in conjunction with the achievement of the overall company goals.
- Be required to work closely and co-operatively with all members of SL Controls management team to ensure that any items affecting personnel within the projects team are addressed and escalated where necessary, in a timely manner. You will be required to act appropriately as Systems Designer and deal with all managerial items in a fashion fitting to your role as the Systems Designer within the projects team.
Your role will involve the development, commissioning and support of automation and control systems.
You will be responsible for automation and control systems design, specification, programming, simulation, testing, and start-up assistance.
You must possess the technical expertise to maintain, develop, troubleshoot, and validate these systems in a compliant and competent manner.
- You will be required to self-manage agreed project goals and interact with the customer to achieve these goals, you must be at a sufficient level of expertise to take front line interactions with the customer for assigned project work and possess the ability to report to management on progress and any road blocks that present themselves over the course of your duties.
- You will be required to manage the delivery of project development work and goals assigned to junior and fellow engineers if requested.
- You will be responsible for always representing the company in a positive light with potential and current customers and where possible interacting with the customer and management to potentially acquire and procure new work and new opportunities. You will interact with Project Group Management on any potentially identified new opportunities.
Acquire a detailed understanding of all components within the Rockwell software stack with particular emphasis on:
- RS Logic 5000/ Studio 5000
- Factory Talk Components
- Pack ML
- Ability to interact with customers on technical requirements and provide notification on assigned project status.
- Ability to deliver technical solutions.
- Ability to assess existing technologies and processes.
- Ability to design robust solutions.
- Investigate and provide technical advice and support to customers and other engineering disciplines on automation related issues.
- Operate according to SOP’s developed by customers as and when they arise.
- Partner with different disciplines to deliver automation projects in accordance with GAMP guidelines.
- Generate documentation and/or SOP’s associated with each of the Automation systems and projects as required.
- Implementation of code changes or deployment of projects tasks under change control.
- Manage the specification, development, installation and validation of automation projects within budget and project plan guidelines.
- Support operations with technical queries.
- Performs employee’s performance management reviews. Motivates & coaches team to enhance performance.
- Provide Leadership and Mentorship to fellow and more junior engineers.
- Produce training material and conduct training courses on these topics to fellow and more junior engineers.
- Act in an appropriate manner as Systems Designer.
- Provide self-management ability to deliver allocated project work.
- Report to Management on status of allocated tasks, project progress and realistic completion dates.
- Capitalize or bring to the attention of management any opportunities which become apparent during the course of your duties which could provide revenue to SL Controls.
Requirements and Competencies
Demonstrated proven experience in Allen Bradley PLC logic and programming with one or more additional programming languages or SCADA systems:
Rockwell Programming suite for PLC and HMI development – Requirement
One or more optional from below:
- Siemens (Step7)
- Wonderware InTouch
**This is a remote working opportunity – while the role is classified as a remote working opportunity the contractor MUST be available to be onsite in Galway as required as occasional onsite work will be required.
Educational / Experience Requirements
- B.Sc. degree in Engineering or equivalent, with particular emphasis in electrical, mechanical, electronic, automation and/or chemical discipline.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in industry, preferably in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology, blue chip or relevant GMP manufacturing environment.
Why Choose This Role & SL Controls
- An excellent salary and benefits package including pension and health cover and other benefits such as:
- Educational assistance
- Income protection scheme
- Wellness and health initiatives
- The opportunity to work clients who are global leaders in their field
- A supportive environment committed to employee development and wellness
- The opportunity to work with and help develop and improve upon industry leading technology solutions
- A collaborative and open culture where you are valued and have the opportunity to contribute to company initiatives and growth
About SL Controls
SL Controls are experts in the area of Equipment System Integration and System Support. We specialise in assisting our customers, including many of the world’s top multinational companies in the medical device and pharmaceutical sectors, achieve their Six Sigma and OEE targets. Over the past 18 years we have grown our business from a Sligo based enterprise into an international business with additional offices in Galway, Limerick, Leinster and Florida USA. We pride ourselves on our expertise in industrial IT integration and regulatory compliance in support of global end users, OEM’s and Technology providers.